Monday, May 24, 2010

Careers News

I went to Make-up Effects Group, which is located in Matraville for my work placement. Make-up Effects Group holds Master Classes for those who want to get into the industry. They run a 5 month training course for those that want to work on big production movies and TV series.

I had to travel by a train and bus to get there and home each day. I got to experience some really exciting things. On my first day, I was lucky enough to be an assistant on a photo shoot. I went around to all the make up artists and helped them with odd jobs, such as nail painting on the models, wig styling, handing out hot rollers and hair spraying.

My second day I got the chance to be in the make up chair and be a model for one of the students while learning about black and white make up for photography. After she had finished my make up I then got to have a photo shoot.

On my last day there I got to be in the workshop with all the exciting special effects side of the Master Classes. I helped with a foam run, which consists of filling a mould with latex that later made a foam mask. They also taught me some basics on airbrushing, which was a lot of fun.

I really enjoyed my week there and I hope to go back very soon. The Master Classes they teach are a must for people that want to get into the make up industry. The teachers there all have first hand experience in the field and pass down their knowledge to the students. Everyone was very welcoming and helpful especially Louise Fitzgerald. They all made my experience one I won’t forget. This gave me an insight into the industry and I really want to get into this kind of work.

Nicole Tanti – Work Placement Report