Friday, February 4, 2011

Face Shapes, Hair & Sculpture

Learning to recognise different eye shapes and how to correct them with the simple swish of a brush - I thoroughly enjoyed this task as experimenting with eye shadow is one of my favourite aspects of make-up.

We studied lips shapes and corrections. We applied the techniques by doing a full-face make-up, splitting the face in half and creating two different looks.

Wednesday was most exciting for me because I was pushed out of my comfort zone. We had our first lesson on hairdressing with our lovely teacher Tanya. Some of us had never experimented with hair, so the day proved to be an exciting challenge. Tanya taught us all about protein and moisturising products, and how they should be used, as well as learning how to recognise different types of hair. She then showed us how to apply the products and correctly blow-dry the hair in preparation for setting. As much as I enjoyed doing hair, I must say, I really enjoyed being pampered and fussed over when it was my partners turn to play with my hair!!

The amazing things we learnt and tried in the first three days just made our desire to go back to the workshop blaze! So when Thursday and Friday came, we finally could continue with our sculptures, refining our new skills, forms and beginning to add texture to the faces. I now have the words “ORGANIC” and “REFERENCE” burnt into the back of my head! No matter how long our eyes wander around the studio, we always see something new and wonderful to inspire us, and make us even more determined to work as hard as we can. I just know next week will be just as wonderful as this one.

Natalie Rose - Student